About Me

My photo
Newark, Delaware
59 year young homemaker... wife of the most awesome loving man any woman could hope for and he is a few years younger... so now I fit the stereo type... Cougar? Only if it is flattering... if not... we will have to change that

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Love What You Do?

Life is short. The older we get the more we worry about that. We want all our moments to be pleasant, rewarding, and best of all fun.

Cleaning the litter boxes is not up there on my list of favorite things to do so here I sit trying to come up with some witty way of letting the world know I need to find a way to get the job done without dreading it.

As important as it is to do what you love, how about loving what you do? I don't "want" to clean those litter boxes. Litter boxes are nasty. So how can I make this an important part of my day? No matter what I am doing it is one of life's moments. Or is this one of those things that simply are there to help us appreciate other things. I really hate those litter boxes. I sure know the housekeepers won't touch them. Even the neighbor boy whom I gave a sizable donation to won't touch them. He did offer to do a "chore" for us... haven't seen him since I gave him the check. But I know where he lives!

So how do I find a way to love what I do when what I do stinks? Literally. Cleaning the litter boxes will save me the embarrassment of having a stinky house? Cleaning the litter boxes will bring me that much closer to my goal for the day... getting to the race track to bet on the ponies! Much more importantly, getting me back to Patty's house to whisk her away to enjoy another day with me. Going to the race track was just the activity... being with my dear friend, Patty is what I love!

First and foremost our plan for today is to see that movie we both want to see, and for various reasons could not get family to go with us. Robin Hood was good, but I want to see Shrek! It's the kid in me. I embrace it. I am in my second childhood.

Last night when I told David that Patty was going to go with me to see Shrek his eyes lit up. "Can you get her to go with you to Sex In the City? so I don't have to!!"

I laughed.

The dishes are in the dishwasher even though today is the day the housekeepers are coming. The weeds are so abundant I decided to call our gardener and let him deal with them, but those litter boxes are calling me.

The only way I can get through this is to think of what comes next... Another FUN day in the company of a very dear friend. As I leave you now I am holding my nose and wishing I could toilet train six cats!

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts on the litter boxes are as follows. I have two and clean them everyday. I hate it. But with that being said, I know my kitties love having a clean box. It gives me pleasure knowing that they are happy they are clean. They tend to get nervous, and "wigged out" when the box is not clean. You can just tell. So, my job, if I am going to have kitties and enjoy them, is to make them enjoy living with me! And unfortunately, that means cleaning those darn boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the number one reason! I love my babies... I love my babies... I love my babies... I just have to keep reminding myself. It's a bit tougher with SEVEN boxes. I just have to try harder. Thank you for reminding me why I really must do it! I love my babies

    ReplyDelete